EISSN: 2651-3153

ISSN: 2651-3137

» Home
» About the Journal
» Editorial Board
» Information for Authors
» Journal Archive
» Contact Information







Results of The Bethesda Classification in Patients Undergoing Thyroidectomy-a Single Institute Experience [Eur Arch Med Res]
Eur Arch Med Res. Ahead of Print: OTD-57689 | DOI: 10.5152/eamr.2018.57689  

Results of The Bethesda Classification in Patients Undergoing Thyroidectomy-a Single Institute Experience

Sönmez Ocak, Ömer Faruk Bük, Kürşat Yemez
Samsun Education And Research Hospital, Universit Of Health Sciences

INTRODUCTION: To compare preoperative fine needle aspiration biopsy and postoperative histopathological findings among patients who underwent thyroidectomy and validate the Bethesda System for reporting Thyroid Cytopathology.
METHODS: Data from 366 patients who underwent thyroidectomy between 2014 and 2016 were evaluated and risk factors were investigated.
RESULTS: 322(88%) of 366 cases were women and the rest 44(12%) were men.According to the Bethesda System, 23 (6.3%) patients were category 1, 79 (21.6%) were category 2, 128 (35%) were category 3,113 (%30.9) were category 4,9 (3.8%)patients were category 5 and 14(2.5%) were category 6. 65 (17.7%) patients had thyroid malignancy after histopathological examination. Bethesda system has 73.9% sensitivity and 96% specificity. There wasn't any relationship between the variables and thyroid malignancy except male sex.
DISCUSSION AND CONCLUSION: Although the Bethesda System had acceptable sensitivity and specificity,the malignancy rates in category 3 and 4 patients can show variability. Becase of this reason a multidiciplinary approach is essential for management plan and surgery option should be kept in mind.

Keywords: Fine needle asipration biopsy, Bethesda classification, thyroid nodule, thyroid cancer, thyroidectomy


Tiroidektomi Yapılan Hastalarda Bethesda Sınıflamasının Sonuçları-Tek Merkez Deneyimimiz

Sönmez Ocak, Ömer Faruk Bük, Kürşat Yemez
Sağlık Bilimleri Üniversitesi, Samsun Eğitim ve Araştırma Hastanesi, Samsun, Türkiye

GİRİŞ ve AMAÇ: Tiroidektomi yapılan hastaların preoperatif dönemde yapılan ince iğne aspirasyon biyopsisi (İİAB) ile postoperatif dönemdeki histopatolojik (HP) bulgularını karşılatırmak ve Bethesda sınıflamasının validasyonunu sağlamak.
YÖNTEM ve GEREÇLER: Samsun eğitim ve araştırma hastanesi'nde2014-2016 yılları arasında tiroidektomi yapılan 366 olgunun verileri retrospektif olarak incelendi ve tiroid kanseri ile ilişkili değişkenler araştırıldı.
BULGULAR: 366 olgunun 44 'ü (%12) erkek (%88) 322'si kadın idi. Bethesda sınıflamasına göre İİAB sonuçları 23 (%6,3) hastada kategori 1,79 hastada (%21,6) kategori 2, 128 hastada (% 35) kategori 3,113 (%30,9) hastada kategori 4,9 hastada kategori 5 (%3,8) ve 14 hastada kategori 6 (%2,5) olarak raporlandı. HP inceleme sonucunda 65 (%17,7) hastada tiroid kanseri saptandı. Bethesda sınıflaması %73,9 duyarlılık ve %96 özgüllüğe sahip olduğu görüldü. Erkek cinsiyet dışında diğer değişkenler ile tiroid kanseri arasında ilişki kurulamadı.
TARTIŞMA ve SONUÇ: Bethesda sınıflaması kabul edilebilir bir duyarlılık ve özgüllüğe sahip olmakla birlikte kategori 3 ve kategori 4 hastalarda kanser görülme riski değişkenlik gösterebilmektedir. Bu nedenle tedavi planlaması yapılırken multidisipliner yaklaşılmalı ve cerrahi tedavi seçeneği akılda tutulmalıdır.

Anahtar Kelimeler: İnce iğne aspirasyon biyopsisi, Bethesda sınıflaması, tiroid nodülü, tiroid kanseri, tiroidektomi




Corresponding Author: Sönmez Ocak, Türkiye


TOOLS
Uncorrected Full Text PDF
Print
Download citation
RIS
EndNote
BibTex
Medlars
Procite
Reference Manager
Share with email
Share
Send email to author

Similar articles
PubMed
Google Scholar


LookUs & OnlineMakale

© Okmeydanı Eğitim ve Araştırma Hastanesi Yayın Organıdır